The last five decades have seen a number of interesting natural food trends. They come and go like the changing tide. Most of the time we are happy when some of them leave, but in the case of cauliflower rice, we are very happy that they are here. Not only because of its acceptable and rich flavor, but because it is healthy and is an alternative to (always on our table) rice, which many do not tolerate its special inflammatory characteristics.
Cauliflower rice to avoid common rice inflammation
Common rice, whether white or brown, while delicious and healthy (plus brown rice), is one of the most inflammatory foods. This is due to several reasons, but among all, it is due to the cross reaction caused by the protein that composes it. When consumed, the immune system mistakes it for allergens to which certain people are commonly susceptible. For people with autoimmune problems or chronic inflammatory diseases, rice consumption is not recommended at all because it causes intestinal heaviness and inflammation in general. That is why today we offer you this possibility that you are going to love with cauliflower “rice”.
Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable and experimenting with it can result in wonders you never imagined. One of those wonders can turn this cruciferous vegetable into cauliflower rice. By having it and consuming it, you achieve two jobs in one: to finally get rid of heavy rice, and you will achieve with that, include more servings of vegetables in your day, taking advantage of its properties, which is very beneficial for your health.
Due to its beneficial effects on numerous aspects of health, cauliflower can easily be described as a super food. Eight of its most impressive benefits are: it fights cancer, anti-inflammatory, supports heart health, is rich in vitamins and minerals, and enriches brain health, detoxification support, digestion benefits, antioxidants and phytonutrients galore.
What are you waiting for! Prepare your cauliflower rice right now the way you like to prepare conventional rice and enjoy its benefits, but above all, say goodbye to inflammation.
How to make cauliflower rice?
- There are two techniques for making cauliflower rice. You can use a box grater with the medium-sized holes traditionally used for cheese, or a food processor with an “S” blade to cut it into small pieces. With both techniques you can achieve small pieces the size of rice.
- An additional step is to remove any excess moisture from the rice using an absorbent paper towel or kitchen towel and wring it out to remove any remaining water. This ensures that there is no excess moisture, which can cause the dish to become soggy.
- Once you have your cauliflower rice, it is easy to cook. Simply sauté in a large skillet over medium heat in 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil. Use a lid to cover so the cauliflower evaporates and becomes tenderer. Cook for a total of 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season as desired (for example, with soy sauce or salt and pepper).
Cauliflower rice with pepper and onion
The following recipe offers a delicate sweetness of cooked cauliflower, onion, and red pepper.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil.
- 1/2 yellow onion in small pieces.
- 1/2 red bell pepper in small pieces.
- a handful of parsley cut into small pieces.
- 2 half teaspoons of sea salt.
- Once you have the cauliflower cut into the shape of rice.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil. 1/2 yellow onion cut into pieces and red pepper also in pieces, and sauté with 1/2 teaspoon of salt until the onion takes color.
- Put the crushed cauliflower in the pan, and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, adding another 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and the parsley. Shake well and cover, bringing the heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to steam for 2 minutes before serving hot.
- Serve and save the rest to reheat, it’s easy, just add 2-3 tablespoons of water to a pan, stir, cover, and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hot.