Knee pain affects many people, especially if you are obese or have extra weight, since the lower extremities support all our movements and are exposed to great pressure. Review the following tips that include a special stretch that is effective in relieving wear and tear on your knees by helping them regenerate and rejuvenate.
Consistent knee pain afflicts many people at various stages of their lives. As we age, the likelihood of pain increases and life takes its toll on our joints.
The main one among the ailments that affect our knees is osteoarthritis. The condition now affects 52.5 million people in the US alone, with a growing number. This form of arthritis causes chronic pain problems that can last from dawn to dusk. Even simple tasks like taking the dog for a walk or climbing the stairs can be excruciating.
With a large percentage of people over the age of 65 suffering from knee wear and tear that causes conditions like arthritis, many people assume that it is just a natural process and that there is little that can be done to prevent the pain that comes with it. But if you can.
Tips to Support Your Joint Health
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamin D, calcium and magnesium.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Strengthen the surrounding muscles to reduce joint stress and prevent knee wear and tear.
- Get enough sleep to maintain a more rested body.
- If you are following a sedentary lifestyle or your job requires sitting, you should get up every 10 minutes in order to maintain mobility and avoid causing pain.
- Don’t try to exercise vigorously to avoid additional complications, and walk or try pool aerobics instead, which will preserve joint mobility.
- Always warm up a bit before exercising, and be careful when stretching cold muscles. To strengthen your joints, you can take a brisk 10-minute walk, and try stretching afterward.
Natural remedies to relieve knee wear pain
- Wear and tear on your knees is often a result of a vitamin D deficiency, so be sure to enjoy sunlight for 20 minutes a day, without applying sunscreen.
- The antioxidants in cayenne inhibit pain transmitters, and arnica loosens the joint and therefore supports mobility.
- Lemon peels support blood flow and reduce swelling. Therefore, just grate the lemon rind, gather them on and spread them to the knee. Next, cover the area with gauze and leave the lemon peel on for 2 hours.
- Epsom salts are high in magnesium, so it can be applied directly to painful areas. The skin will absorb the mineral, and this will relieve pain and inflammation in the knees. You can also dissolve 2 tablespoons of them in half a cup of water, soak a cotton cloth in the mixture, and apply it to the joints. Leave the compress for 20 minutes and then wash off. On the other hand, you should occasionally enjoy a bath with Epsom salts, as magnesium will stimulate serotonin production, and will relax your entire body.
- Ginger is another powerful natural anti-inflammatory.
- Coconut oil has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so heat a teaspoon between your hands and rub your knees, first clockwise, then counterclockwise, for 10-15 minutes.
Foods to regenerate knee wear
Gelatin: Gelatin is high in collagen, a component of bones and connective tissue, which calms pain and improves mobility. You can add plain gelatin to smoothies and yogurt, or mix it with honey, herbs, fruit juices, and spices.
Vitamin D: This vitamin is found in some foods, such as eggs, mushrooms, organic orange juice, and fatty fish, such as tuna, wild salmon, mackerel, and sardines.
Herbs: To relieve pain and soothe inflammation, you should use evening primrose, nettle, and Boswellia.
Spices: Spices with anti-inflammatory properties include ginger, cayenne, turmeric, and cinnamon.
However, there is a very simple exercise that you can do very easily at home, and you only need a chair and a hand towel.
Stretch to treat knee wear
Exercise works by relieving the tension between the bones and the cartilage. The narrowing of the gap between the two is what causes the pain in the first place, as the resulting friction of bone and cartilage together wears down the latter.
It is an exercise that can be done quickly and regularly for anyone suffering from knee pain. It does not have to be part of a larger program and can be done in isolation on a daily basis to alleviate chronic problems.
- Sit upright on your couch or chair and curl up your hand towel before folding it.
- Place the towel directly behind your knee, getting the joint as high as possible.
- Lift your leg up and place your heel on the edge of the sofa or chair you are sitting on.
- Squeeze the towel with your leg, contracting your hamstrings and calf muscles for 10 seconds.
- Release your leg muscles.
- Repeat several times, before switching to your other leg.
By incorporating this exercise into your daily routine, you will see a great improvement in your ability to use your knees without pain. Daily tasks will stop being torturous and before you know it, your legs will feel ten years younger, giving you the confidence to move freely and enjoy your body’s potential.