Chronic pelvic inflammation is a condition that affects many more women than is estimated, approximately 1 million women suffer from PID per year in the United States alone. Below we will list the main causes, conditions and what are the most recommended treatments to eradicate this problem from your life.
Pain in the lower abdomen or back, periods that last longer than a week, pain during the menstrual period, spotting outside the period, fever, nausea, pain or burning when urinating, these are some of the more symptoms common symptoms of women with chronic pelvic inflammation or PID.
In many cases, women do not go to the gynecological consultation because they think that these symptoms are not relevant, but the truth is that they could be caused by this infection, produced by a bacterium lodged in the uterus, fallopian tubes, endometrium or in the ovaries, and can lead to serious health complications.
Forms of contagion
One of the most common forms of infection is through sexual intercourse, since the bacteria that produce them are gonococcus and chlamydia. However, the bacteria can also be contracted during childbirth, insertion of an intrauterine device, or abortion.
- Insertion of an intrauterine device (IUD).
- Public showers.
- Public pools.
- Endometrial biopsy.
However, statistically this disease is caused by sexually transmitted diseases, which is why the use of barrier contraceptive methods (condoms) to prevent its contagion becomes very important.
The disease begins in the vagina and, if not treated in time with antibiotic methods, it spreads to the endometrium, fallopian tubes, ovaries and uterus, until it reaches the abdomen and causes chronic pelvic inflammation.
Symptoms of chronic pelvic inflammation
Some women with pelvic inflammatory disease have no symptoms. For women who have symptoms, they may have some of the following:
- Pain in the lower abdomen (the most common symptom).
- Pain in the upper abdomen.
- Pain during intercourse.
- Pain when urinating.
- Irregular bleeding.
- Increased or foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
- Fatigue or reluctance.
Pelvic inflammatory disease can cause mild or moderate pain. However, some women have severe pain and symptoms, such as:
- Sharp pain in the abdomen.
- Threw up.
- High fever.
If you have severe symptoms, you should urgently consult a specialist. The infection may have spread to your bloodstream and to other parts of the body. Again, this can be a life-threatening condition.
Risks of the disease
The risks will depend on the state in which the disease is, so early treatment is essential. If not treated in time, it could cause infertility problems, given the scar tissue that forms in the fallopian tubes. It is also possible that there is an ectopic pregnancy, that is, that the fetus is formed outside the uterus.
In cases of severe infections, surgery must be used to remove the affected tissue.
Natural treatment of PID
Natural treatments should be used as a complement to medical treatment, they should not supplant it. Consultation with a specialist is the most recommended.
Turmeric contains an active ingredient called curcumin with powerful antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight infection as well as alleviate the symptoms of PID. Also, turmeric is good for improving the immune system, helping to prevent future infections.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Drink once a day until symptoms disappear.
- Take turmeric supplements, 500 mg 3 times a day. However, check with your doctor before taking this supplement.
The probiotic yogurt containing live cultures (good bacteria) is a great remedy to fight this bacterial infection. The good bacteria in this yogurt will help fight bad bacteria and restore good bacteria in the vagina. It also helps maintain a healthy vaginal balance.
- Apply small amounts of probiotic yogurt to the vagina. Wait a few hours, then rinse with cold water. Use this remedy once a day for a few weeks.
- It is also advisable to increase the consumption of probiotic yogurt or kefir.
Baking soda is another effective treatment for chronic pelvic inflammation. This alkaline compound helps reduce acidity and alkalize the colon and other organs. This in turn helps kill bacteria that cause infections. Also, it helps balance the body’s pH level.
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of psyllium or psyllium.
- Drink on an empty stomach once a day for a few weeks.
A sitz bath is an effective remedy for reducing PID symptoms. While a hot bath will help relax your pelvic muscles, a cold bath will help relieve pain.
- Fill two large bowls (where you can sit), one with warm water and the other with cold water.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to each one and stir well.
- First, you should sit in the bowl with warm water, and immerse yourself up to the waist for 3 minutes.
- Then sit in the bowl of cold water up to your waist for 1 minute.
- Repeat several times and finish the session with cold water.
- Enjoy a sitz bath a few times a week.
Pelvic and lower abdominal massage helps to stimulate the muscles and increase blood flow to the reproductive organs. This in turn relieves pain, provides relaxation, and speeds healing.
- Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil in a carrier oil like olive oil.
- Lie down on the bed and do gentle stretches.
- Apply this oil on the lower abdomen.
- Gently massage the pelvic area and lower abdomen in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Massage 1 or 2 times a day until symptoms disappear.
The best way to treat it is through consultation with medical specialists, but care and prevention can help you avoid these types of diseases. To do this, you should try to eat a diet that gives you the possibility of increasing your defenses, and take into account some of the following tips.
- Use protection in your intimate relationships.
- Avoid smoking.
- Perform gynecological exams with some regularity.
- Avoid public showers.
- Not having multiple partners.
- Eat foods that improve female intimate health.
- Increase the consumption of probiotic foods and foods that raise your defenses.